Saturday, January 24, 2009

POETRY IS COOL

I have composed a number of poems this past year, and I have found it very rewarding. I would like to share a few of my pieces now and then. Most of my work has been related to the work that I do as a Pastor and Chaplain for Hospice. I meet remarkable people, and have an opportunity to get to know them in a way that causes me to want to write about them!

This piece talks about the role of our five senses in remembering those we love.

On another occasion I want to talk about my favorite poet: Ted Kooser. I stumbled on his work at Barnes and Noble one day. What struck me most about him is that he writes they way I do... not bragging here, but his work touched my heart with the subject matter and method of expression. He tries to keep things minimal, and always has a powerful ending. I will share some of his stuff in the days ahead. For now, here is one of my pieces:

MEMORIES


Memories are funny things
They shape our thinking
And make us laugh… most of the time.

A simple sound or voice
Reminds us of someone
And our spirits melt

A certain aroma transports us
To a place of shared happiness
And with closed eyes… we remember

Music… that magical memory maker
Moves us to hear
Echoes of love and hope

A touch… gentle and strong
Jogs my forgetfulness
And I see my love

A beautiful scene
Passes our eyes
And we are once again …there


All these things are
Weaving the threadbare fabric of the past
And we smile.





By Richard D Harris, Chaplain 1/14/2009