Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Music...

Today I want to share with you what my music is all about. Whether it's playing trumpet in church or Jazz solo before an audience of seniors, the "soulish" quality of music never ceases to amaze me. In the last 5 years since I have been doing public performances, I have come to appreciate the power of music to move the soul... no matter what genre. I have come to the place where music played well, is an offering to God... the creative Master who infuses us with His creativity.

My latest poem expresses these feelings and I hope you enjoy this.

My Music…


A hallowed sound in a hallowed place
Raises spirits and lowers anxiety
The sound envelops the soul
Of a tired, often sad seeker.
Then comes a smile.

The music, like a silky breeze
Floats over and past the ears
Caressing the wrinkled heart
Causing a flood of memories.
Then comes a sigh.

The notes rise and fall
Waiting for resolution
Major key turns to minor
Melody always coming home.
Then comes a nod.

Majestic…lyrical…circling
Sounds invade my soul
Images sparkle before me
As the music swells and dies.
Then comes a blush.

The privilege is mine
To be the chauffer
Of such persuasive rhythms
That move the heart.
Then… I smile.