Sunday, November 28, 2010

Each new day...

Every day is a new day. A new day to start fresh with your dreams and goals.

Yes, life gets complicated on occasion. Sometimes those complications are of our own making. We make choices about what we are going to do in the next few minutes, and sometimes those minutes explode into hours. In the process our dreams and goals are left in the dust, and we don't have enough time left in the day to pursue them. Maybe this is a lack of discipline; maybe this is an "unconscious" attempt at avoiding the really important things in life. I'm not sure on occasion.

What about our dreams... those elusive things we wish to see happen, but just never come into view. Is the answer in blocking everything else out except those few things and concentrating on those few items? Unfortunately, that does not work for me. There are too many others areas of my life that need attention to zero in on a few selected goals.

On the other hand. Maybe the key is to un-complicate things and shed a lot of things that don't serve the major goal. OK, I have read the time-management books like you have. I have been a slave to my day-timer (when it was paper - remember those days?). I am not sure my life was much different than when I was going day to day, solving problems - my own and others; chasing kids; going about daily work. It just seemed at the time that the chaos was a little more organized.... and made me feel better about it. (Not dissing planners etc).

Personally, I have found satisfaction in being able to help someone 'in the moment'. To be an agent of change and hope in someone else's life. How is that measured? Sorry... there's no way to measure the effects of a 'word spoken in season' (as the KJV Bible puts it.) I suppose the accumulation of small acts of kindness and courtesy can add up to 'a life well lived.' Why not?